So this year I've decided to go on a search! Could you be the right person to join us here on our small farm? Do you know someone who would love to explore and learn about multi-species grazing and marketing all-natural products? I would love to hear from you!
Farm Description: 28 acres of pasture, a small woodlot and lawn (yes I graze that too!) located Cobleskill, NY. The land is managed in an intensive rotational management system with multiple species of livestock. All meat and eggs are sold through farmers markets (physical and online), small retail outlets, restaurant sales, and on-farm sales. A goal for 2013 is to establish buying clubs with monthly drop-off locations.
Pasture Raised Poultry:
Meat Chickens - Heritage Red Cornish and Cornish-Rock Cross chickens
Turkey - Heritage Bourbon Red and Broad-Breasted White turkeys.
Laying Hens - a mixed flock of 60-120 colorful egg layers who free range the pastures in their egg-mobile, acting as our farm's "insecticide" as they forage.
Poultry is either processed on farm or at nearby state inspected facilities.
Katahdin hair sheep - 100% grassfed. Lambing begins late April - May with the focus of the lambs being born in warmer weather on lush pastures. The sheep act as the main grazers on the farm and lead the way for the chickens.
Meat Rabbit - New Zealand and California breed genetics. Pasture raised when possible.
Depending on the right person, I am also open to the idea of raising pigs and veal calves this season.
- Daily watering, feeding and pasture rotation of broiler chickens, laying hens, and sheep
- Management of chick brooder
- Assist with sales of products on farm and at farmers markets
- Assisting with product processing & packaging
Qualifications: Experience is not necassary but common sense and attitude are EVERYTHING! As an intern at Black Willow Pond Farm you should possess the following:
- enjoy working with animals and show respect to them.
- willingness to work in all weather conditions
- willingness to learn and be teachable
- ability to lift 50lbs on regular basis required (more is often the case :o)
- construction skills are very valuable
- valid driver's license. This is a rural area and a car may be desired.
- be willing to work around small children. I have two boys who work along side us quite often.
Interns will receive housing on-farm with meals provided and a small weekly stipend. You will also have the ability to attend workshops and conferences as well as opportunities at other local farms in the area if you choose.
To apply for the position, please contact me by email: info@blackwillowpondfarm.
Please provide a short description about yourself and why you would like to intern at Black Willow Pond Farm. I will contact you to continue our conversation with follow up questions and set up a visit to the farm.